Set to be available this May (2010) at a price which is yet to be confirmed, the Korg microSTATION is a new and decidedly less than “micro” addition to Korg’s Micro range.
The keys may be mini, but there’s 61 of them over the microKORG’s 37, and you can be absolutely sure that they’ll be better than most other offerings from the micro/nano range, which have a track record of being none too comfortable.
The keys are, in fact, touted as “highly expressive,” which is a claim I’ll believe when I try one, that said if Korg can get velocity sensitivity into the nanoKey, they can get it into paving slabs.
The below is grabbed directly from the Korg.com microSTATION details page, I’m lazy when it comes to news posting, make of it what you will:
- Lightweight, compact, and equipped with 61 mini-keys, the microSTATION travels easily and fits effortlessly into any home, stage, or studio workspace.
- EDS-i (Enhanced Definition Synthesis-integrated) sound engine delivers high-quality sound in the tradition of KORG’s flagship synthesizers.
- Enjoy 480 outstanding, ready-to-use sounds â€“ including keyboard sounds, synth sounds, drums, leads, basses, etc. Tweak, edit, create and save up to 512 sound Programs.
- 256 dynamic Combinations place different sounds on different areas of the keyboard, or layer multiple sounds together for exciting performances â€“ right out of the box!
- Find the right sound fast with eight quickly accessible categories; hundreds of Audition Riffs allow you to preview each sound.
- A full General MIDI level 2 compatible soundset allows commercial and pre-made MIDI files to be played perfectly and instantly.
- Designed for comfort and accuracy, our 61-key Natural Touch Mini Keyboard is highly expressive and supports serious playing.
- Whether performing or composing, the on-board sequencer can be anything from an extra set of hands or a powerful drum machine up to a full-blown MIDI production suite.
- Loop Recording, Grid Sequencing, Dual Arpeggiators, Template songs, and Auto Song Setup features make it easy for anyone to achieve professional results.
- SD/SDHC card slot for convenient storage or your custom sounds and songs.
- USB Type-B connector offers a direct MIDI connection to your computer.
- Includes both stand-alone and plug-in microSTATION software for detailed sound editing on your computer; plug-in software is VST, AU, and RTAS compatible.